Business Advisor - Young Women in Enterprise
TechnoServe is an international, non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968 out of a conviction that a vibrant private sector is an essential foundation for economic growth and poverty reduction.
TechnoServe undertakes targeted, catalytic technical assistance and other programming to increase the competitiveness of entrepreneurs, businesses and industries that in-turn provide sustainable employment, inclusion of the poor and increased incomes.
TechnoServe operates in 26 developing countries with over 1000 employees.
For more information, visit www.technoserve.org
TechnoServe’s Young Women in Enterprise and its implementing partners propose an adolescent girls’ (14-24years) economic empowerment project in Nairobi, Eldoret and Kisumu.
The project’s goal is to increase disadvantaged girls’ economic resilience, thus reducing their vulnerability to HIV/AIDS and contributing to the reduction of HIV infection by 50% among them.
In this regard the Young Women in Enterprise Program is seeking to engage a Business Advisor (BA) who will be based in Eldoret or Kisumu whose work will be to implement the program in these two regions.
This will be a contract work for six months with potential for extension to one year upon availability of funds.
General Job Description
Targeting 14-24 years girls and young women, the BA will primarily work with a team of trainers and business counselors to introduce girls to concepts of entrepreneurship, agribusiness, financial literacy and employability.
They will support the girls to translate their training into tangible economic and social outcomes to improve their lives, start and grow individual or group enterprises, link them to employment/ internship opportunities, linkages to financial institutions for savings and credit opportunities, and assist them access HIV messaging.
Reporting to the Program Manager for the Young Women in Enterprise and working as part of a larger team; the BA will:
* Lead an innovative process of mobilization and recruitment of girls into the program and ensure participation of key partners (including parents/guardians and spouses) and stakeholders.
* Oversee formation, development and management of girl’s enterprise clubs of 30 to 40 girls.
* Implement the training programs for entrepreneurship, agribusiness, financial literacy, employability and HIV messaging. Ensure quality delivery of training to the girls, including co-facilitation with trainers, coaching and feedback to trainers.
* Implement experiential business model to ensure girls practice the skills they are learning during the entrepreneurship training.
* Provide oversight and support for all business start-up activities including vocational skills training, mentoring, and micro franchises.
* Identify and facilitate linkages to financial institutions to open bank accounts, savings and/or borrow.
* Supervise and build the capacities of the trainers and business counselors
* Identify and build relationships high potential individuals, private and public sector organizations and partners supporting youth related work in their regions.
* Identify a local placement agency or agencies that will link the YWE girls to employment/internships.
* Support the M & E and reporting activities of the program as required.
* Support other program tasks as part of the team and perform other assignments requested by the Program Manager
* Bachelor’s Degree in Business or relevant field with at least of 3 years experience in a role that involves training, business management and or capacity building.
* Experience facilitating/delivering training curricula to a variety of audiences
* Demonstrated capability in managing people.
* Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
* Strong interpersonal and cross cultural skills
* Excellent communication skills required
* Ability to communicate effectively across a range of seniority levels
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Please submit your application (by email only) to email@example.com with the position title placed in the subject line.
(1) cover letter describing your interest,
(2) curriculum vitae,
(3) salary history, and
(4) telephone contacts of three Professional referees.
Please include all requirements in one document (Word or PDF). Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 25th January 2013.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe is an equal opportunity employer